[development] relationships API vs i18n

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Thu Nov 9 23:29:26 UTC 2006

Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
> By offloading this work to a relationships API, I hope to get more out
> of this "related nodes" concept then just binary relations of
> translation nodes. Also this would be something to do for those who are
> absolutely not interested in i18n, but would like to help bring some
> cool stuff into Drupal.
>
> The existing relations efforts (some ready code) already operate in this
> field, and category module uses a similar conceptual approach. I hope
> that this way we can also revitalize the book module.

That sort of relationship model is (IMO) a necessity for Drupal's
long-term health. Like everyone else I took a crack at implementing such
a model and have had it sitting in my sandbox for a few months.

If we do use 'relationships' as the basis for translation, I hope we
take the time to do it in such a way that taxonomy terms, buddy lists,
and other kinds of connections can be represented as well.

--Jeff