[development] Fundamental MySQL changes in Drupal 6 (six)

Karoly Negyesi karoly at negyesi.net
Mon Nov 13 04:25:43 UTC 2006

> As a point of clarification, what exactly does dropping 4.0 (compared
> to 4.1) buy us? I'm familiar with the differences between 4 and 5, but
> less knowledgeable about 4.0 vs. 4.1. As someone who would like to see
> more logic moved to the database layer, I'm very interested in what
> shackles we can escape.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/news-4-1-x.html

Subqueries and derived tables (unnamed views).
INSERT ... ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE ... syntax. Note that this does note exist in postgresql but if we decide we need this then a CREATE RULE ... ON INSERT ... INSTEAD might or might not help (needs to be done per table if I understand this). Later :)
GROUP_CONCAT Again, not standard and the only solution for pgsql I know requires plpgsql
Extensive Unicode (UTF8) support. Goba already praised this

This is pretty much about it, I would really like to use GROUP_CONCAT but this needs to be discussed further (for Oracle folks, http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2006/08/evolution.html )

Regards

NK