[development] death to "x.y.z" version is now inevitable

Gary Feldman dpal_gaf_devel at marsdome.com
Tue Nov 14 20:09:12 UTC 2006

Derek Wright wrote:
> to re-iterate -- if you're dealing with an "x.y.z" issue, you should
> re-assign it to:
> 6.x-dev -- feature request
> 5.x-dev -- bug report/task for 5.x
This seemed suspicious to me, because it makes 6.x-dev redundant with
the feature request category.  So I took another look at the tracker,
and realized that you can't limit the search to a specific version or
set of versions (not even on the advanced search page), though you can
sort the results by version.  You can limit a search to just feature
requests.

In any event, the version number for feature requests is sort of
irrelevant - there's no guarantee that it will make it into 6.  I'd hate
to think that when 6 is feature-frozen and 7.x-dev opened, the remaining
feature requests will need to be bumped to the new version.  That would
be a waste of time.  I'd rather just say that the version number on an
open feature request is meaningless, so don't sweat it; use the date to
figure out how long the request has been outstanding.  When the request
is finally implemented and closed, then the version number becomes
meaningful and should be the version in which it first appears.

Gary