[development] -- versus - in "new release" system

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Wed Nov 15 18:35:47 UTC 2006

On Nov 15, 2006, at 1:30 AM, Bèr Kessels wrote:

> first: which one is The one?

they're all true, just documenting different things (as the titles
and text explain).

> second: why is this in two places (documenting something on more
> places will
> result in incompatibility), can I merge these two?

http://drupal.org/handbook/version-info#contrib
is "what do the version numbers mean?", intended for the masses.

http://drupal.org/node/93999
is "what are the CVS branches and tags that correspond with each
version?", intended only for a) project maintainers and b) advanced
users who deploy sites with "cvs update" instead of "wget tarball".

no, you can't merge them since they're different things (version
strings vs. cvs identifiers) intended for different audiences.  as
the top of #93999 says:

"To understand the naming conventions for the branches and tags used
for Drupal contributions, you should already be familiar with the
[version numbers for contributions]..." with the link to version-
info#contrib.

> third: can we agree on ONE templating concept,

*sigh*  yes, geeze, after about 20 hours of handbook editing, i
managed to leave 1 inconsistency in the formatting of some
information.  <sneer> please forgive me </sneer>.  by all means, feel
free to make cosmetic formatting changes if you're so-inclined.  just
don't go "reorganizing" documentation you haven't spent the time to
read closely (skimming for the examples doesn't count) and therefore
don't understand what it's really talking about or why it's where it is.

On Nov 15, 2006, at 1:39 AM, Bèr Kessels wrote:

> In addition http://drupal.org/handbook/cvs/quickstart#release-tag
> tells again
> another story, I guess this one is just still using the old convention

not at all.  it's showing how to do exactly what you're told to do at:
http://drupal.org/node/93999

you're probably just confused about branches and tags.  i encourage
you to (re)read:

http://drupal.org/handbook/cvs/branches-and-tags/contributions

it probably wouldn't hurt to read the info i put in the introduction-
to-cvs page about this, too, for the fundamentals:

http://drupal.org/handbook/cvs/introduction#branches-and-tags

all clear?
-derek