[development] Download stats for October

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Wed Nov 15 22:30:35 UTC 2006

On Nov 15, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> Better yet would be to track downloads from within the project
> module.  Then we can sort projects by number of downloads.

http://drupal.org/node/66015
http://drupal.org/node/52475

much easier to implement now with new release system.  either
directly in the {project_release_nodes} table (new column called
"num_downloads") or in a {project_release_downloads} (with 2 columns:
nid, num), we could store the data in the DB.  we just need a cron
job running on d.o to periodically take the raw download stats and
update the DB correctly.

we could display this info in 3 places:
1) on each release node itself
2) next to the "Download" link in all the existing project browsing
pages
3) add a new "Browse by popularity" sorting method (that's what
#52475 is talking about).

patches welcome. ;)
-derek

p.s. arguably, the project node and the browse-by summaries should
use the total of all downloads across all release nodes for that
project.  i'll leave that debate for others to hash out.