[development] death to "x.y.z" version is now inevitable

Darrel O'Pry dopry at thing.net
Thu Nov 16 00:41:32 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 00:18 +0100, Karoly Negyesi wrote:
> > <bitter-old-man>
> > i'd include the link to what i've written about this, but i doubt
> > anyone's going to read it, so i won't bother finding the relevant
> > nids.</bitter-old-man> ;)
>
> Worry not, chummer. There are some who read your words as if it would be sculpture and there are those who can only ask "and when Drupal5 will be out". :)

When will 'Drupal Mach3 6.4 Xtreme Edition++ 2.2 on `Oiled Rails`(tm)
1.7' be out? ;)

dww, we appreciate the tools you've provided. I like them now that I'm
starting to get the hang of branching and tagging properly.

At first I found the documentation dense, I think there is some
confusion to be had between the quickstart guide and the branch/version
docs.

The quickstart guide, in its advanced examples, indicates the DRUPAL-4-7
branch as drupal-4.7.x-1.x.

If my understanding is not mistaken it should probably read...
DRUPAL-4-7 = 4.7.x-dev  ( the head of the DRUPAL-4-7 branch)
and
DRUPAL-4-7--1 = 4.7.x-1.x ( sticky tag in the DRUPAL-4-7 branch)

it seems like the release system assumes that if there are no tags
besides DRUPAL-4-7 it is assumes that DRUPAL-4-7 == 4.7.x-1.x??

I'm not the kind of person who sits and reads heavy docs then goes to
work with a thorough academic understanding of the process. I work off
of example and cross reference to the heavy docs when I'm confused. So
this little one line example threw me for a big loop since it didn't
seem to correlate with the versioning.

I finally decided to get over my willie nillies and started branching
modules and I think it have it figured out. I'm just not confident
enough that I am correct to change the documentation.

I'd rather be confirmed or corrected.

I am in no way trying to make life difficult because its beautiful to
have versioning. I've already branched imagefield and filefield for 4.7,
tagged the 4.7.x-1.0 release of imagefield, so I can start in on some
theme changes and making some UI refinements. With a little more testing
I'll tag the 1.0 of file field I can now do new development for both
versions do testing, invite others to test and comment on changes before
releasing up dates... I'm just stoked... I've been wanting this kind of
branching and tagging for a while just in CVS, its even more awesome
that project module supports it...

Three Cheers for Derek Wright!!!

gushing,
.darrel.