[development] Download stats for October

Chris Kennedy chrisken at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 16 01:14:54 UTC 2006

Comparing cvs downloads of drupal and all contrib modules isn't
worthwhile for a number of reasons:

1. They're used for different purposes - drupal cvs is primarily for
testing where as cvs versions of modules tend to have the most bugfixes
and functionality. And as you state, drupal-cvs is often (usually?)
updated directly though CVS rather than a download. And this October
-cvs version downloads could simply reflect additional testing on Drupal
5.0 module ports.

2. They reflect different versions - drupal-cvs for October is known to
be Drupal 5.0, but for modules -cvs might be a 4.6, 4.7, or 5.0 version.

3. One is unitary (Drupal) whereas the other is aggregate (modules).
There are about 550 modules tagged for drupal-4-7 (thanks dopry), so I
don't see a 16-folder difference in cvs downloads as an inherent
disproportionality.

There are better ways to examine what you are getting at:

a. Compare cvs / 4.7 download ratios on a per-module basis and examine
the distribution for modules with both variables. This would be easy
with a bit of string manipulation on the download list.

b. Count the percentage of modules that set cvs/head as their default
download on d.o. (or do a db query).

c. Look at the distribution of time between the latest -cvs release and
DRUPAL-4-7 release on a per-module basis, though this would need to be
tweaked with the shift to Drupal 5.0.

Great stats summary otherwise - the reasoning behind this issue (but not
necessarily the conclusion) was the only thing I disagreed with.

-Chris