[development] RFC: letting modules phone home to check for new releases

Sammy Spets sammys-drupal at synerger.com
Wed Nov 22 01:54:23 UTC 2006

While I agree with Derek about the security issues there can be
ways around it.

For example, functions that perform the update do so only when a file
(in the site root directory) contains some random characters chosen by
the system for that upgrade session. The file must be manually created
prior to the upgrade though a way to generate the file is provided. The
administrator can only download to their computer and then upload to
server.

Derek is absolutely wright (sic) that security is a BIG issue. I'd also
not use it without measures similar to the above.

Cheers,

--
Sammy Spets
Synerger Pty Ltd