[development] RFC: Creating a Subscriptions API

Rob Barreca rob at electronicinsight.com
Wed Nov 22 05:38:36 UTC 2006

As the new-ish maintainer for Notify module I'd definitely like to have
one solid subscription module (or, probably better a SubscribeAPI
module...calling all Eatons :-) ) to avoid all this duplication (notify,
subscription, subscriptions, et al).

This has been a desire of mine for a while, but lack of time has
hampered that. Once Drupal 5 is out, I'm going to be porting Notify and
will look into refactoring the code to properly implement a SubscribeAPI
module so other modules can subscribe to...

1. nodes (i.e. by nid [say, for project issues], tid [forums], View [all
new/update nodes in a particular view], uid [all Joe's content], type,
etc.),
2. comments,
3. taxonomy (i.e. newly added tags),
4. users (i.e. new user registrations).

But I'd like (and need) some help just with the initial direction from
some big boys so this can get done right for D5/D6 as I'm not as great
of a visionary as some on this list.

Recently on the list there was talk of a relationships API and I feel
that SubscribeAPI could benefit from something similar so that we could
have one table showing relationships between a subscriber uid and
another node/node type/comment/vocabulary/term/view/uid/etc.

Thoughts?

Rob Roy Barreca
Founder and COO
Electronic Insight Corporation