[development] Let's kill $user->data

Dave Cohen drupal at dave-cohen.com
Thu Nov 23 00:55:36 UTC 2006

I recently wrote a module that makes use of this column.  My module allows
for "anonymous" posts.  Similar to what the contributed Authorship module
does.  (My module is specialized for a particular client, I have no plans to
contribute it as an alternative to Authorship).  When this module is enabled,
some posts will say something like "Submitted by an executive in the software
industry" where they would normally say "Submitted by UserX".

I store the information that populates the "anonymous" submitted by info in
the user data column.  This is handy to me for two reasons.  First, I did not
have to create another database table.  Second and more important, the user
data column gets loaded with every node.  This means I need no new queries to
display my information in every teaser and page view.  I have no idea whether
is by design or not (because the data field is not documented as far as I
know), but it's convenient for my case.

It's true that I can make my module work with or without the data column.  So
if you want to take it away, I will not complain.  But I wanted to let you
know I found it useful, in case that factors into the decision.

-Dave