[development] RFC: letting modules phone home to check for new releases

Steven Wittens steven at acko.net
Thu Nov 23 02:11:37 UTC 2006

> Therefore, you either need to temporarily give apache write access
> to code
> files (which you can't do from within a web app running in apache,
> obviously)
> or run the upgrade as a user that already has write access to them.

Are we sure that you can't change the owner of the current process
through Apache? We can execute arbitrary shell commands, if needed.
The ideal solution could then be a script that can be invoked both
from the web and from the command-line.

Through the browser, it would ask for your local username/password,
and then perform the upgrade tasks (only from a very limited set of
commands, e.g. unpacking module files and copying them into the right
dir). From the command-line, it would just assume the current user is
the right one already.

Steven Wittens