[development] ENOUGH!

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 22:53:33 UTC 2006

On 23 Nov 2006, at 19:32, Kieran Lal wrote:
> The last major release took 13 months and it was a complete mystery
> to even the most intimate observers when or what was necessary to
> get 4.7 out the door.   There's little understanding in what it's
> going to take to get this release out, unless you reviewing the
> issue queue.

It is documented in the release announcement at http://drupal.org/
drupal-5.0-beta1.

> It's also important to keep in mind that I don't know anyone who
> runs Drupal core.

I know a fair amount of people that run Drupal core.

> So if someone is ranting about core, and creating no patches for
> core, and doing no testing of core they still might be very active
> in moving the Drupal community to 5.0.  That's because they are
> porting contributed modules, using the upgrade documentation,
> testing upgrading tools, and basically tackling the hardest part of
> using Drupal.  Participation comes in many forms and all deserve
> respect.

I couldn't agree more.

> To assist in this effort I am happy to volunteer to write a post of
> the front page of Drupal.org with a list of the issues necessary
> for Beta 2, and include links to the 70 contributed modules which
> should be tested with 5.0 beta 1.  Just help me identify the
> remaining issues for beta 2.

The critical bugs need fixing.  No need to write up a post about it;
we'll get them fixed soon enough and I plan to roll a beta 2 the next
couple days.  The point of my e-mail was not to rally testers but to
stop counter-productive debates on the development mailing list.