[development] standard dotinfo file "package" classification

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Sat Nov 25 12:47:57 UTC 2006

> I have been looking, and probably missed something crucial, but
 > I fail to find a list of standardised package = classifications.

I thought there were:

  Core - required
    - which shouldn't be used by third party modules.

  Core - optional
    - which shouldn't be used by third party modules.

  <nothing at all>
    - the default for modules, placing them in "Uncategorized"

  Module-specific package
    - such like "Ecommerce" or "CCK" or "Bot".

> I do, however, foresee a wildgrow of weird classifications if we don't provide

I don't see these as being classifications - they are NOT like the
categories on http://drupal.org/project/Modules. They should only be
used, IMO, if:

  * you have more than two or three modules in your distribution.
  * you are building onto another module and THAT module uses a package.
  * your distribution doesn't use module prefixes (like CCK) and it is
    far friendly to group them all together.

Naming-wise, the package should almost /always/ be the name of your
distribution - CCK and Ecommerce are made up of a ton of different
modules but are all colloquially referred to as "CCK" or "Ecommerce",
and that's what their CVS name and module URL are. Thus, that is their
package names as well.

--
Morbus Iff ( if god is my witness, god must be blind )