[development] standard dotinfo file "package" classification

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sat Nov 25 15:43:42 UTC 2006

Op zaterdag 25 november 2006 14:35, schreef Konstantin Käfer:
> >> I have been looking, and probably missed something crucial, but I
> >> fail to find a list of standardised package = classifications.
>
> Bèr probably meant that there are no guidelines on how to use the
> package field. Module authors can invent arbitrary new names and use
> them. That way, you'll end up with 10 categories with 1-2 modules each.

Let me be more specific. I have Quicktags. Its a module that lives in the area
of tinyMCE, fsckeditor and so forth.  Basically I assumed that such module
would have to be grouped in the same sort of category. Though It seems I am
kibdof wrong.

> > Naming-wise, the package should almost /always/ be the name of your
> > distribution - CCK and Ecommerce are made up of a ton of different
> > modules but are all colloquially referred to as "CCK" or
> > "Ecommerce", and that's what their CVS name and module URL are.
> > Thus, that is their package names as well.
>
> That's true. But we need to document it somewhere. It won't work with
> a tacit agreement.

It is becoming clearer to me now.

IS it correct to summarise this, for module devs, as:
Package is left emtpty, unless your module consistst of many modules -- a
package.
?

Bèr
--

Drupal, Ruby on Rails and Joomla! development: webschuur.com | Drupal hosting:
sympal.nl