[development] new CVS branch/tag conventions (was Re: tagadelic 'backport' for 4.7)

inkfree press inkfree at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 14:05:02 UTC 2006

"Derek Wright" wrote:

> 1) "DRUPAL-4-7--1" and "DRUPAL-4-7--1-0"

Tough choice between these two.  This one (above) is visually quite useful,
since it visually separates the main from the sub version.

+1 for the above.

> 3) "DRUPAL-4-7-R-1" and "DRUPAL-4-7-R-1-0"

Good. I like the patterned (and therefore machinable) separation. Each
"space" between a hyphen contains a relevant and sequential part.

In the option "1)" above, the "empty" space between consecutive hyphens is
just slightly less machineable, in my view.  (I am thinking about a script,
say PHP or AppleScript, which breaks apart a file name string into
constituent parts. This is sometimes helpful in automated file systems.)

Even given this very minor logical difference, I still think I prefer the
first pattern for ease of visual cues and for neutrality with respect to
language ("revision" is an English word, even though quite common in
software jargon and so this is probably not an issue worth any real
political-cultural wrangling.)

+.75 for the above.

> 5) "DRUPAL-4-7_1" and "DRUPAL-4-7_1-0"  (just for comparison, this isn't a
> contender)

Whew! Thank the Gods.

--
inkfree