[development] Any way to get a poll? Drupal 5.0 Default theme.

Michelle Cox mcox at charter.net
Wed Oct 4 14:34:23 UTC 2006

On 10/3/2006 9:39:33 PM, Walt Daniels (wdlists at optonline.net) wrote:
>The contrib themes are a good start but they need a uniform classification
>scheme so one can tell at a glance the basic properties (fixed/fluid),
>(css/tables/mixed), n-col, etc.

>Perhaps the secret, at least for me, is themes which can be easily
>specialized a bit to look unique by someone with a poor graphic eye for
>beauty. This means getting all the little things right, like margins,
>alignment and especially browser agnostic.

This is where I am. I find theming the most difficult part of Drupal. Some
day, I'd like to get paid for doing Drupal sites for small businesses in the
area. My target market likely won't pay enough for a site for me to be able
to subcontract out the theme part. So the easier Drupal can make it for a
non graphic designer to come up with a decent looking theme, the better. I
realize the truly outstanding themes will always take someone who really
knows how to design, but non-designers should at least be able to come up
with something usable by changing colours and graphics and not having to
worry about all the browser quirks and whatnot.

Michelle