[development] new CVS branch/tag conventions (was Re: tagadelic 'backport' for 4.7)

Gary Feldman dpal_gaf_devel at marsdome.com
Thu Oct 5 20:13:55 UTC 2006

Derek Wright wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2006, at 1:32 PM, Gary Feldman wrote:
>
>> Why is there an x in the filename and not the release tag?  Since
>> there should always be a 1-1 mapping between a given (official) tar
>> ball and a given tag, there shouldn't be any difference in the way
>> the version numbers appear (modulo case, and in other situations,
>> some special character mappings).
>
> 1) because everyone (myself included) thinks the '.x' part is helpful
> for end users to understand the compatibility: it helps
I understand how people who've been working on Drupal for a while might
come to that conclusion, but I don't agree.  The .x could just as easily
be interpreted as eXperimental or eXtension (both conventions I've seen
used before).  It's the type of thing that will trip up many users, and
not be of much help to others.  The people who care about details will
worry about it, and the people who don't care about details will just
make the same assumptions with or without the .x.  At a minimum, it's
one more thing that they'll have to learn in order to join the club, and
it doesn't get around the fact that they still need to worry about
incompatibilities between modules.
> 4) because i assume (probably wrongly) that contrib maintainers have
> enough of a clue to be able to understand this
Understanding isn't the issue.  It's having to remember it, or being
slowed down or tripped up by annoying minor inconsistencies.  I
understand why some command line tools use two dashes for long option
names and others use just one, but that doesn't mean I never type the
wrong one.
> ...need to add the right tag, etc, etc).  but, in the first instance,
> i don't think it's too much to ask to understand the basics
No, it's not too much to ask, but then it's also not too much to ask for
an explanation.

Gary