[development] Why Drupal 5.x must have built-in WYSIWYG Editor?

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Oct 6 12:37:03 UTC 2006

Op vrijdag 6 oktober 2006 10:44, schreef Drupal Indonesia:
> 2. A best solution, IMHO, is provide a function in Drupal to call the
> Editor. This Editor() function simply call the ediitor if available, but if
> no editor installed
>     then Editor() uses <textarea>.

Besides choosing whether or not to render a WYSIWYWFU based on urls, choose
any of the following:

  * CCK-textarea toggle (limited to nodes, but very granular)
  * textarea ID, possibly advanced settings with regexps. Each TE has an id,
it should be easy to capture all these possibly even combined with urls. See
HTMLarea drupal mod for this implementation.
  * users/roles.
  * user setting, or session variable.
  * theme. Texareas are themable you can use this.
  * time of the day. Dont show textareas between midnight and 6 oclock (right
makes no sense, but just to make my point clear)
  * position of the moon in relation to the sun. Again: senseless but hey, who
knows?

I have played with #2 for quicktags, and have the code for per-area settings
done: in admin-textarea mode each textarea comes with some settings:
  [x] Show quicktags on this textarea
  	[X] show for administrators
    	[X] show for registered users
    	[ ] show for anonymous users
     	[ ] show only if the moon is up, and the sun is down. (no, this one will
not go in)

Hope to introduce this in the 5.0 version of quicktags, with possible backport
to a 4.7.1 version.

So: core needs not support anything, you already have full power to make
whatever you want.

Bèr

--
 [ Bèr Kessels | Drupal services www.webschuur.com ]