[development] Why Drupal 5.x must have built-in WYSIWYG Editor?

Gildas Cotomale gildas.cotomale at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 18:23:01 UTC 2006

On 2006.10.06, Robrecht Jacques wrote:
> Just to step in. I'm not sure we need a #wysiwyg property. I think we
> need a #html property. This would say: it makes sense to put HTML
> codes inside this textarea. If not set, one would be "required" to
> input plain text. This makes the property *semantically* correct and
> could even be used inside core.

You are all right :)
A kind of #wysiwyg property (combined with an hook_form_alter) will do
the trick.
And most of us agree to call it #html instead, in order to be more semantic.
But i think #wysiwyg is very semantic too if the purpose is to
indicate that a RTE must be used because the content may some BBcode
(and not HTML) for example. :/
Well, why do not simply say the kind of content expected here simply
like a text-based MIME type (and the RTE is invoked then only if can
manipulate/generate that MIME type, and Drupal stay that powerfull
format independant...) If you agree, what name should have that
property in such a case ? Why not something like #mime-type (or simply
#mime) or #content-type or better #accept-content  (or simply #accept
like at <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#accept>
=> <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#extensions1>
;) This approch also suits with Robrecht's explanations below

--
little thoughts