[development] Logging of IRC Channels?

Michelle Cox mcox at charter.net
Sun Oct 8 22:46:49 UTC 2006

On 10/8/2006 4:16:31 PM, Morbus Iff (morbus at disobey.com) wrote:
> A decision was made today by one of the ops of #drupal and
> #drupal-support: that anyone *publicly* logging the channels
> would be banned.

As the person who started this, I suppose I should respond. I don't expect
that what I say in #drupal-support is private, but it was disconcerting
finding them posted up on the web with no warning. If it's going to be on
the web, I'd like to know who's putting it up there and have some method of
having things removed that I don't want posted. In this case, I was doing a
Google search on my family website. It's not a top secret site or anything,
but I do try to avoid having it in the search engines and I would prefer not
having mention of it logged on the web.

I've got no problem with things being logged on peoples' personal computers.
I would just prefer they not post the logs onto the web. I don't think it's
an unreasonable thing to ask. And, yes, I realize that once something is
said in IRC I can't stop it from getting out. But I think most people in the
channel are reasonable enough to not use their logs in a way that upsets
others if they are aware of it.

Michelle