[development] 2k qps

AjK drupal at f2s.com
Wed Oct 11 07:21:39 UTC 2006

> So decreasing the apache processes can help? For me it makes sense to
> increase it in order to process cuncurrently as much users as i can

Not always. It's true that more processes can handle more requests
depending on where the bottleneck is. But think like this, if you add
too many apache processes and run into memory problems then your
processes begin to swap. And that's the real problem as your disks
start trashing.

Better to leave the incoming connection in your OS's ip network queue
rather than force open another apache you haven't room for. That
may seem odd (to leave it queued) but at least the running apaches
can handle them faster if memory swapping isn't going on.

--AjK