[development] Usability task: vocabulary creation form

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Sat Oct 14 14:42:19 UTC 2006

On Oct 14, 2006, at 4:34 AM, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> Hello,
>
> the Drupal APC usability report (http://drupal.org/node/83806)
> states that the vocabulary creation form could use some work (page
> 16-17):
>
>   "Some forms (eg vocabulary creation) could use additional text to
> explain the purpose of some of the fields that they contain.".
>
> Elsewhere they state:
>
>   "The purpose of some fields (eg hierarchy) found within the
> vocabulary creation form are somewhat ambiguous, and the
> descriptive text provided does not provide clarity. A group of
> checkboxes and their purpose is also somewhat ambiguous.  Some work
> could be done to combine the text found on the main categories
> administration page with the text found on this form.".
>
> Facts:
>  - Creating a vocabulary is a really popular task.
>  - The form to create a vocabulary is not self-explanatory and
> scares people away.
>
> Anyone cares to look into this?  It seems that with a little bit of
> work, we could make a difference for thousands of people.  I'd love
> to see this fixed in Drupal 5.0.  Thanks,

Studies have shown that developers respond best to usability feedback
when it is presented as a mock-up, or wireframe.  A good intermediary
step might be for one person to propose a mock-up, jump into #drupal
or #drupal-support, and ask for to give feedback on creating
vocabularies with the mock-up form.   Make improvements, repeat 5x.
Once the mock-up is done I am sure it would get implemented very
quickly.

I am happy to help, but I still have 1700 survey responses to
summary, and 1100 other responses to read and summarize.

Kieran