[development] Usability: module idea

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Sat Oct 14 16:02:36 UTC 2006

On 10/14/06, Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 Oct 2006, at 16:30, Jeremy Epstein wrote:
> >> Maybe it would be a good idea to create a small module that extends
> >> help text and error messages with a rating widget?
> >>
> >>    "Was this error message useful? [*****]"
> >>
> >> The response should get send to Drupal.org and then we can prioritize
> >> problematic messages.
> >
> > This sounds awfully similar to the infamous WinXP message: "This
> > program is not responding. Please tell Microsoft about this problem."
> > Now, I'm not saying that this is a bad idea, but I am saying that it
> > immediately makes me think: "why is Drupal trying to be like
> > Microsoft?", and That Is Bad (tm).
>
> I think that makes for a pretty bad comparison.  IMO.

Agreed - a better comparison is the trackback software in Mozilla -
it's on by default but you can disable it.  The first time you hit a
problem it asks "do you want to submit a detailed report?  Do you just
want to send this and never ask you the detailed report question
again?  Do you want to disable trackback?"

I'm paraphrasing, but that's close.  It's a great feature for the
Mozilla community to be able to give detailed problem reports that can
be aggregated, summarized, and the biggest problems can be
investigated.

Greg

--
Greg Knaddison | Growing Venture Solutions
Denver, CO | http://growingventuresolutions.com