[development] [decisions-dev] Request for input: Decisions.module

Anders fajerstarter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 17:33:30 UTC 2006

> I will initiate a discussion on drupal-dev when we are closer to that
> point and have implemented more of Anders' quality improvements, which I
> estimate is on the order of 1-2 months away.

Thanks Chris, I really appreciate that you see that I'm trying to
improve (or make you improve mostly... :) ) the overall quality of the
code.I  also agree that it might have been a bit early to involve
Dries, but on the other hand it's never wrong to advertise the model
and show that we are serious about producing quality code.

There are currently some obvious coding standard things that could be
improved upon, see http://drupal.org/node/318. Code dealing with
theming (http://drupal.org/node/306) and FormAPI
(http://jeff.viapositiva.net/drupal/dynamic-forms,
http://api.drupal.org/api/HEAD/file/developer/topics/forms_api_reference.html)
are also important areas where code could be improved. Also, but more
complicated, is how to handle "mode-specific" code the best way,
currently we mix this a bit, e.g the voting_algorithms in
decisions_form() which I think would be better off separated from
decisions.module and into their specific .inc files. It might even be
possible to use hook_form_alter() for such things, I'm not shure.

I of course know that development have been focused on implementing
new features and I'm also keen on seeing new features implemented. It
should be possible to have these two areas work together though
(quality+feature implementation), and it will be even easier when we
have improved the overall code quality.

/Anders