[development] Drupal at ohloh.com

Jonathan Lambert j at firebright.com
Sun Oct 22 18:38:29 UTC 2006

It's interesting...

The main problem that comes to mind is that, for example, if I
integrate junit into Drupal, commit the code, and I've just put the
entire development effort of junit's worth of rank into the system.
Not accurate.

What's more that site (ohloh.net) has some difficult licensing, and
you shouldn't be using it.

For example:

- The site you are using doesn't allow anyone below the age of 18
years old to register with the site ("You must be 18 years of age or
older to register as a member and use the Services.") so I'm not sure
these results CAN be accurate.  What's more, Open Source projects are
not limited to 18+.  I mean, 13 I can understand due to legal
concerns in the US about COPPA, but 18?  What the...?

- Any use of the site forfeits every right you have - "When you post
Content, you hereby grant us a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable,
fully sublicensable, worldwide, non-exclusive right to use,
reproduce, modify, translate, adapt, publish, create derivative works
of, transmit, distribute, perform, display, delete (in whole or in
part), and incorporate the Content for any purpose and without
acknowledgement to you."  So don't post anything interesting,
anything you ever intend to publish, etc, because these guys can use
it without ever giving source credit (that's unconscionable in my
opinion - essentially it's a license for plagiarism for anything
anyone posts).

All-in-all, this site about Open Source doesn't seem to very "Open"
itself - in fact it seems like they spent more time and money on the
legal contract than the site contents.

I'm sure the inaccuracies that can be shaken out (I'm not convinced
they all technically can - crawling project is VERY complicated) will
be in time, but the "corporate" license is a little tough pill to
swallow.  I'm sure Scott and everyone are good people and all, but be
careful what you post up on the site - they've got a HUGE legal
contract behind it with a couple big downers.

Sorry, I know its off topic, but I was pretty shocked when I read the
terms.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Lambert