[development] Drupal at ohloh.com

Vernon Mauery vernon-drupal at mauery.com
Sun Oct 22 22:32:15 UTC 2006

On Sunday 22 October 2006 12:21, Khalid B wrote:
> It is interesting look at for sure, but there are some discrepancies.
>
> For example, looking here at me (kbahey)
> http://www.ohloh.net/projects/3189/contributors?sort=man_months_reverse&pag
>e=2
>
> I have 2.0 man years, and code total is 1290. However, a few users below me
> "flow" has 0 code total, with no language listed, but still 1.8 man years.
> Uwe has 1.8 man years, with 4 code total. John Vandyk has 2.1 man years,
> but code total is 503. Robert Douglass has 22862 code total, but only 1.9
> man years.
>
> It becomes weirder when you sort by code total:
> http://www.ohloh.net/projects/3189/contributors?sort=code_total_reverse
>
> There is no obvious place where they explain what these metrics mean
> or how they are derived.

One way they possibly could be derived is using something like the equivalent
to `cvs annotate` to get lists of user commits for each file.  This would
account for people that have spent 1.8 man years writing 4 lines of code.
Maybe his code got replaced or committed by someone else.  Only the last
modifications to a line would show up.

Really, without going through each and every line of EVERY commit, it is
impossible to gauge how much code each person has spent.  And people write
code at different speeds too.

--Vernon