[development] Default core theme

Martin Tomes lists at tomes.org
Wed Oct 25 09:39:29 UTC 2006

Steven Wittens wrote:
>> For us to even think about promoting such horrific code would be an
>> affront to every bit of quality in other parts of Drupal. How evil!
>
> Well you can't have your cake and eat it too... people want tableless
> themes. They are impossible without at least some degree of CSS hacks.
> Otherwise, you must go for tabled, and hardcode it in the markup, which
> is non-semantic.

I tried the 'holy grail' layout and was left unimpressed.  It is way too
complex and I found that it didn't behave very well.  I wanted links to
anchors in a page to jump down to a different section, with the 'holy
grail' CSS this is broken.  I would be against anything based on it.

Having said that, I can find no clean way of doing a three column
*fluid* layout in CSS which has fixed size left and right columns and a
fluid centre column and which also permits floats in the centre column
(i.e., the centre column itself has to be floated to start a new float
context).  The only method I have found is the one used on drupal.org
where the left and right columns are percentages of the width.

--
Martin Tomes
echo 'martin at tomes x org x uk'\

Visit http://www.subversionary.org/