[development] Drupal Modules and Linux Distros

Seemant Kulleen seemant at gentoo.org
Wed Oct 25 10:56:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 12:29 +0200, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> Our relationship with people packaging Drupal has also been rather
> problematic. ;p

I hope not with Gentoo...

> Also, before you consider doing any package you should check if your
> distribution's release policy matches Drupal's. As a result of such a
> check not being done, Debian ships now with a Drupal 4.5 package which
> isn't maintained by us anymore.

Not sure what you mean here -- Gentoo tends to be a moving target, so if
4.6 gets deemed as the new upstream stable, Gentoo devs tend to follow
up on that in the distro itself (in most cases, anyway).

> This is not a thing developers themselves can do anything about. The
> problem is with our way of packaging things. Luckily, this should change
> soon and from there on tarballs once created should be stable.

Being completely new to the world of drupal, I'm not sure I understand
the packaging method or the changes in store.  Can you point me to a doc
where I may learn more?  Also, when will these changes happen?

Thanks,

--
Seemant Kulleen
Developer, Gentoo Linux