[development] Counting .info files [Was: Documenting contribs]

Chris Kennedy chrisken at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 26 00:52:03 UTC 2006

The implication is valid though - how would the correct .info file be
determined for purposes of display on the project page? If you use the
default release authors will have to update releases just to change the
project description. Using HEAD is inaccurate if its functionality
differs significantly from that of the default release - the .info files
and the project page should independently be able to reflect these
differences.

I don't see the benefit to merging these two descriptions given that
they have different purposes.

Back to the original topic, I recommend that any project description
revisions be conducted as informal "reviews" that are posted to the
module's issue queue and can then be accepted, rejected, or modified by
the maintainer. This preserves the contributors' autonomy while
encouraging quality improvements. I do agree that the module
descriptions are often of poor quality.

Guidelines or best practices in module descriptions, via
http://drupal.org/node/7765, would also help without forcing changes
upon maintainers.

.ck