[development] {Short issue queues need care - 7} Why we shouldn't close all issues without proper review.

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 07:43:37 UTC 2006

On 04 Sep 2006, at 09:40, Augustin (Beginner) wrote:
> The same scenario is repeated at each release cycle, because we, the
> community, do not take the time to review other people's patches,
> scratch
> other people's itches.

I agree.  I often spend 2+ hours a day reviewing patches, and when I
post an occasional patch myself, it doesn't always get the quality
reviews it deserves.  (I understand that my position is exceptional.)

If people spent time reviewing your patches, try to return the favor,
and review other people's patches.  Of course, you're free to do what
you want, but it sounds like a good, social guideline.

Not getting a decent review for your patch turns people off, and we
should avoid letting this happen.  Quite the contrary, we should
provide them with constructive reviews and help them get on board.
Some of them will 'stick' and help review patches too.

Now we're in code freeze mode, this is particularly important.  Let's
do our best to make new people stick and to review an insane amount
of patches together.  :)