[development] node type without a title?

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Thu Sep 7 16:11:31 UTC 2006

Wich is what I wrote at:

> [mailto:development-bounces at drupal.org] On Behalf Of Bèr Kessels
> 3 A subject: To show a boldfaced/strong "title" above an article.

SEO is just one of the many reasons why one may not want to have the title
hardwired into Drupal. Usability is another one, flexibility is the (IMO)
most important one. As long a node === title+teaser+body (story) it is fine
to have it harcoded. But the moment one uses nodes for other things, images,
events, profiles, business-listings, PHP pages, organic-groups, dashboards,
404 placeholders, etceteras etceterars, titles need to be optional, flexible,
and cut loose from the data-structure.

Example: an organic group does not have a title, it has a "name". a
directory-entry does not have a "title", it has a "company-name", and more of
such things. the deeper you dig, the more examples you find where not only
the name of the entity (title) is wrong, but where maybe the title has no
input (form equivalent) and is generated from metadata (wordpress alike: use
the entry date as title), or where the title is generated from a pattern
(%type: entry #%number, by %uname). etc.

Bèr