[development] APC and Web Networks Release Drupal Usability Report

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Wed Sep 13 03:41:51 UTC 2006

inkfree press wrote:
> "Neil Drumm" wrote:
>
>> From the report: "Binary options should use two radio buttons, one for each of
>> the states."
>>
>> From Nielson's Alertbox: "A stand-alone checkbox is used for a single option
>> that the user can turn on or off"
>> (http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20040927.html).
> Therefore, the UI principle to consider to distinguish the two interface
> elements is:
>
>     radio button -- when a value is required to be provided
>
>     checkbox -- when a value is able to be toggled (to the 'no value' state)
>

> Again, often but not always logically equivalent.

The internal values aren't shown in any UI and we shouldn't force the UI
to be driven by underlying logical differences like (0, 1) vs. (null,
1). The point is, the UI could be any of:

Clean URLs:
(o) Disabled
( ) Enabled
This option makes Drupal emit "clean" URLs (i.e. without ?q= in the URL.)

or

[ ] Enable clean URLs
This option makes Drupal emit "clean" URLs (i.e. without ?q= in the URL.)

or

URL style:
(o) http://example.com/?q=admin/settings/clean-urls
( ) http://example.com/admin/settings/clean-urls