[development] Module upgrades: status
drupal at dwwright.net
Thu Sep 14 09:56:14 UTC 2006
On Sep 14, 2006, at 1:07 AM, Dries Buytaert wrote:
> So far, only 17 modules have .info files:
> We'll want to increase that number so people can test the first
> beta of Drupal 5.0.0 when it hits the streets. I think we should
> aim to release a first beta directly after DrupalCon (or maybe even
> at DrupalCon).
it seems that we customarily run the betas of new releases on d.o
itself. however, i think i'm going to be in the critical path for this:
1) d.o can't upgrade until project.module and friends are ported.
2) the new release system is my top priority, even ahead of porting
project et al. the sooner the release system is done, the easier
we'll be able to manage porting the mass of contrib to 5.0.0.
i can't promise i'll have the new system done (at least the
foundation of it, certainly not all the features that can be built on
top of it) *and* the entire project suite of modules ported by
drupalcon. if that was all i had to work on, and i *really* busted
by ass, i could maybe deliver either one of those things, but
certainly not both. and, right before drupalcon i'll be at another
conference, giving another talk, so i'll be at least partially pre-
occupied with my "real" job for the next week. ;)
so, if my assumption that we'd like to upgrade d.o to the beta before/
when we release it is correct, i have serious concerns about meeting
this schedule unless either i get a *lot* of help (with the upgrades,
the release system, or both) or, i put the new release system on
hold. however, i've got a ton of momentum now (see http://drupal.org/
node/83339 and http://drupal.org/node/83332), and i'd *love* to have
the basic foundation of that in place as early in the porting-to-5.0
season as possible.
just wanted to warn everyone about this reality, and call (loudly)
for help in project-land if folks are serious about running 5.0.0-
beta1 on d.o in a little over a week.
More information about the development