[development] My site is under attack (trackbacks, spam and cpu usage).

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Mon Sep 18 14:00:30 UTC 2006

> These redirect to "GONE", rather than using "access denied".  Maybe
> not any more helpful for a spambot, but any legit bot should get the

Yes, they wouldn't be - spambots never check their return values, which
is why my... "malicious" redirection of traffick back to them only
serves to waste their traffic attempting to POST data at themselves.

For what it's worth though, you really should have put in aliases for
all your old URLs. Linkrot is the devil, and I fault you for it.

> I also like the idea of redirecting to the
 > loopback address- does that really work?

Yes - hit http://www.gamegrene.com/trackback/ and your browser will
attempt to load http://127.0.0.1/. Now, the question is: do these
spambots actually /follow/ redirects. That, I can't answer - I do know,
however, that a redirect is far smaller in traffic and processing time
than a 404, 403, or what have you.

--
Morbus Iff ( whooooooo's hoooouuuuuse? )