A way to fight spam together? Re: [development] My site is under attack (trackbacks, spam and cpu usage).

Jeremy Andrews jeremy at kerneltrap.org
Tue Sep 19 01:49:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:26:42 +0800
"Augustin (Beginner)" <drupal.beginner at wechange.org> wrote:

[...snip...]

> I had a look. Actually, I wanted to write a simple module
> myself to do exactly the same thing. I find your use of
> hook_init() very clever in this case.
>
> However, I think the use of a .htaccess directive would be
> more efficient, because there is not even the need of a
> partial Drupal bootstrap. I've added the following code to
> my .htaccess at www.wechange.org :

Prior to creating my module, I was occasionally getting
DDoS'd by trackback and comment spam coming from tens of
thousands of IP addresses.  It was absurd.  I created this
module to deal with trackbacks, and form tokens to deal with
comment spam, and suddenly my CPU went back to nearly idle as
it should be.  At that point I lost my inspiration to explore
the problem further, as it was no longer a problem.  I'm not
convinced you need anything more than the trackback_blackhole
module to solve the resource issues, though obviously the
sooner you can stop the attack the better.

Cheers,
 -Jeremy