[development] code names for core releases? (was Re: Suggestion for people releasing new modules and themes into CVS)

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Tue Sep 19 08:07:19 UTC 2006

[this topic deserves a new thread]

1) code names *are* a developer-ism.  yes, all problems in computer
science can be solved by either caching or adding another level of
indirection, but in this case, the indirection is sort of a pain in
the ass, and can also lead to confusion, as much as it might help
some people.

2) it seems like only a handful of releases are ambiguous about what
the next version # is going to be.  now that we *know* 5.0 is the
next release, i'm positive the next one will be 5.1, not 6.0.  so,
for 5.1, a code name is just needless indirection and alternate
(therefore, probably confusing) naming.  we're not going to want to
mark issues in the issue queue "blue" or "salamander", (which *would*
be an improvement over "cvs", but still), we're going to want to mark
them as "5.1.0-dev" (just like the version string in system.module)...

3) given that there are really only a small # of releases where this
is a problem, i don't see much harm in using "4.8/5.0", or even,
calling it "4.8.0-dev" until proven otherwise.  not ideal, but better
than "cvs", "TRUNK", or "development version".

<goes-out-on-limb>

4) can't dries make this decision a little earlier? ;)  yes, some
things might change, but it seems like we're going to have a pretty
reasonable idea of what's going to happen further in advance than the
code freeze.  given that both digits are officially part of the
"major version" (according to http://drupal.org/handbook/version-info
"X.Y indicate the current major stable release version."), it doesn't
*really* matter that much if it's 5.0 or 4.8. ;)  we never worry
about compatibility between "minor" release numbers, so it's not like
we have to wait on 5.0 vs. 4.8 until we know for sure if it's still
compatible with 4.7 or not, etc.  it's entirely arbitrary, and the
fact is that be delaying the decision, we're creating all this
unnecessary confusion.

</goes-out-on-limb>

this all has relevance for the new release system, storing releases
as nodes, etc, which is part of why i care.

anything other than "cvs" or "next release" would be an improvement,
so i won't put up too much of a fight if people are really set on the
code-name thing, but i'd rather we just stuck to numbers, and in the
small handful of cases where there might be 2 possible values, either
a) just decide early and stick with it -- no one's going to die or
get fired or become homeless if dries calls it (X+1).0 or X.(Y+1), b)
call it "A/B" until it's decided, c) keep calling it X.(Y+1) until
proven otherwise (which will only happen every once in a while)...

thanks,
-derek