[development] code names for core releases?

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Tue Sep 19 21:16:24 UTC 2006

On Sep 19, 2006, at 11:03 PM, Khalid B wrote:

> Case in point using Trae's Ubuntu example: they have a six month
> release
> cycle, and their numbers are YY.MM (Year and Month). 5.10 (October
> 2005) should have been followed by 6.04 (April), but because it was
> late
> by two months, it came out as 6.06 (June).

in that case, ubuntu just has a stupid convention for version
numbers.  if they're going to go that far (numbers based on year,
which is sort of cool, and supports my partially-joking proposal for
"major.patch" version numbers), they just screwed up what the 2nd
part should be.  it shouldn't be the month (since you don't know that
in advance).  it should be the # of releases they did that year.  so,
the first release in a year is always "YY.1", and the 2nd release
should be "YY.2".  problem solved.  no "catchy" [sic] code names
required.

-derek