[development] code names for core releases?

Richard Archer drupal.org at juggernaut.com.au
Thu Sep 21 00:00:18 UTC 2006

At 7:01 PM -0400 20/9/06, Khalid B wrote:

>One general comment here: how many issues today are in the queue
>against "cvs"? Some of them years old and against modules or code
>that no longer applies.
>
>For those who are against a codename, I point out that if the issue is
>against a fixed name/version, it can immediately be seen as obsolete
>or worth pursuing

I think you're clutching at straws here.

Sure code names are cute and entertaining, but please don't try
to kid yourself or others that they would make life easier.

Tagging issues with a code name will only tell you which release
the issue was filed against. It could still not be immediately
seen whether the issue is obsolete or worth pursuing. If you
wanted to know whether the issue was obsolete you would need
to test the issue against the current code and see if it's
still relevant.

Furthermore, having the issue filed against an obfuscated code
name version which you have to go look up on a handbook page
to convert back to a number would just add an extra level of
frustration when dealing with old issues.

If you perceive a problem with the issue tracker insofar as
the actual code version an issue was filed against is missing
(and I think a case still needs to be made that this really is
a problem and you are proposing a valid solution), then that
problem should be addressed within the project module, not by
obfuscating the version numbers of the code.

Personally I find the age of creation and the age of last
comment a better indicator of issue obsolescence than the
version it's tagged with. Issues against 4.6 might still be
valid feature requests or even bug reports against HEAD.

If you can build a case that issues should be tagged with the
version number they were filed against then there are other
solutions available. For example, when HEAD is released and a
new version tag is created, all existing issues with version
"cvs" should be changed to that new version.

 ...R.