[development] RFC: new version numbers for core

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Mon Sep 25 17:25:00 UTC 2006

as promised, we spoke about core version numbering schemes and code
names at drupalcon.  i wrote up a 1-page hand-out summarizing the 2
big threads we already had on this list and gave it out to folks for
consideration.  yesterday evening, dries and i finally had a chance
to sit down and talk through the hand-out, why it's important, and
what we should do.

briefly: he's opposed to code names, leaning towards the 2-digit
solution, but wants to gather some more feedback before he makes his
final decision.

he asked me to put the text from the handout into a forum post, along
with a table summarizing the pros and cons of the 2 viable
proposals.  this way, people can clearly see what the options are and
don't have to reiterate or get fixated on 1 pro or con and lose sight
of the big picture.

request for comments (RFC):

http://drupal.org/node/85943

thanks,
-derek (dww)

p.s. please don't reply to this email, just comment in the forum
post.  that way, people who truly don't care won't get spammed by
your email, and those who do can read your thoughts online.