[development] The new menu system

adrian rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Wed Sep 27 14:23:32 UTC 2006

On 27 Sep 2006, at 9:35 AM, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> Any particular reason not to use %d and %s?  I'd favor the use of %
> d and %s (instead of %) for two reasons:
>
>   1. Security.  It allows us to cast URL parameters to their proper
> type.  This helps to prevent XSS/SQL injection attacks.
>
>   2. Consistency.  People familiar with the database API can easily
> guess what they do.
It DRAMATICALLY increases the number of possible matches.

Secondly, I don't feel that chx actually explained this correctly,
but we store the generated menu items, into a normalised database table.

So we can get the callback through a single 'select * from
{menu_tree} where path in (/* generated list of possible options */)
order by likelihood, slashes, wildcards';

so you get 1 single sql query that can get the result, instead of
unserialising the massive tree.