[development] Re: Drupal 5.0 Theme - v2

Trae McCombs traemccombs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 13:31:53 UTC 2006

There was some good feedback this morning.  Here are my responses to the
majority of the issues you guys/gals brought up.

1. Too much "wasted space" at the top.
Name a single high-profile website:  slashdot.org, digg.com, newsvine.com,
others any of these that doesn't waste the top 300px+ of their site with ads
or other stuff.  You simply won't find it.  Also, look at the Kubrick, it
too pushes content down.  It is a high resolution world.  If you aren't at
1024 (Full screen browser)  then you are going to get left behind.

Me, I keep my browser window at 1024x700 (and have Web Developer toolbar
resolution to easily switch to 800x600) -- no matter what desktop resolution
I happen to be using.

I can probably play with the top bar and shave off 10px here or there, but
you do NOT want to cramp and close in your Search form element.  It has to
have room to breathe.  It won't seem like such a huge void if we get
secondary links in, or if I do some visual goodness in that area.

2. Rounded corners
I would be open to discussing this by committee, as I know I'm not the
expert on mark-up.

http://occy.net/tmp/rounded_corners.html [UGLY COLORS]
The above uses no images, only mark-up and css.  But isn't anti-aliased.
{view src on it}

3.Color Scheme.
The reason I stayed with the same colors, is that is what Dries wanted.  I
personally don't dislike them, but feel the palette would be better served
having one or two more colors tossed in (But used sparingly) to the mix.

4. Technical issues.
If there are any other details that need to be handled besides "making the
vision come alive", then I'll have to defer to others.  I'm great at white
space and Design, and I know a LOT of css, but aside from that... I'll
happily defer to others on technical issues.

Keep checking the site today, I've got some nifty ideas I'm working on.
I'll check back in after lunch.

Peace Love and Bananas,
Trae