[development] The new menu system

Syscrusher syscrusher at 4th.com
Thu Sep 28 17:42:41 UTC 2006

On Thursday 28 September 2006 12:45, Khalid B wrote:
> Side comment on the use of %.
>
> Since we use % for a special meaning, will there be a readability issue
> here? Too much escaping of %? Would another special character do the
> trick here?

How about asterisk ("*")? It already implies wildcard in regexp and filename
globbing, which makes it an intuitive fit. And in most databases it has
no special meaning and therefore doesn't have to be escaped in a string.

Remember that in the context of a URL path, we shouldn't be thinking of
it as a "database query". That's an internal implementation detail, not
relevant to the site designer.

Syscrusher