[development] FYI: update on 2-digit version #s for core

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Sat Sep 30 18:54:29 UTC 2006

here's an update on progress for the switch to 2-digit version
numbers for core:

1) webchick, sepeck, michelle and myself have been on a roll updating
documentation.  you can see some of the fruits of our labor here:
http://drupal.org/handbook/version-info
http://drupal.org/update/modules
http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/FAQ.txt?view=markup

2) the 4 of us standardized on using "4.7.x" and "5.x" to refer to
drupal core and contrib module compatibility whenever possible.
previously, we were somewhat inconsistent, and some places we used
"4.7" and in others "4.7.x".  since the ".x" helps drive home the
point to end users that any version of core would be compatible, and
since referring to "5" on its own looked too weird, we figured that
was the most clear approach.

3) i wrote up a short forum post and promoted to the front page about
this:
http://drupal.org/node/86823

4) i created a patch against core to fix the version string and a few
other cosmetic changes:
http://drupal.org/node/86591  (it's RTBC, btw) ;)

5) i fixed nearly all contrib modules that had a DRUPAL-5-0 branch
created.  everything now has a DRUPAL-5 branch, instead, which is the
new branch naming convention for the main stable release of any
contrib ported to the 5.x API.  the only remaining DRUPAL-5-0 branch
is in the audio.module, and i've been in contact with the maintainers
of that to try to clear it up (theirs was a special case, because
they had made some changes on the DRUPAL-5-0 branch already that
haven't been applied to the TRUNK).

6) we've updated the (incredibly helpful) forum page maintained by
michelle about "Contrib modules version 5.x status" to match the new
reality:
http://drupal.org/node/82257

7) sepeck changed the terms in the handbook/forum taxonomy about
versions ("4.7" is now "4.7.x", "5.0" is now "5.x", etc).

if anyone can think of any other important places that need updating/
changing, please let me know.

thanks!
-derek (dww)