[development] Note that PHP arrays are fast

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 10:02:19 UTC 2007

On 4/10/07, Rob Thorne <rob at torenware.com> wrote:
> While I use these kind of array tricks all the time (love that table
> driven code),  the advantage of the first form is readability.  Unless
> code like that is called many times in a request, I'd still go with the
> ?: operator, since the intent is clearer.
>
> Remember: we have to maintain this stuff after we write it.

Agreed.

> On the other hand: I like dispatch arrays lots better than huge case
> statements.  I suspect that these are not only faster, but easier to
> understand as well.

Huh, that's interesting.  As someone who spent years maintaining a
huge multi-process application written in assembly language -- where
jump tables (dispatch arrays, essentially) are The Rule -- I find case
statements much easier to read in most (not all) situations.

I think that means we may not reach a consensus on readability for
some such things.