[development] RFC: Structured discussion module
darrenoh at sidepotsinternational.com
Thu Apr 12 18:45:50 UTC 2007
I'd like to have module that helps people cut through the rhetoric that
arises during arguments and focus on productive discussion. It could be
called either "Structured Discussion" or "Argument Reconciliation".
The module would make use of the following taxonomy structure:
1. Discussion vocabulary
2. Topics would the first level of terms in the hierarchy.
3. Positions would be the second level of terms.
4. Differences between positions would be the third level of terms. Each
difference would inherit two terms from the positions level.
5. Evidences required to resolve the differences would be the fourth
of terms. Each evidence would inherit one or more terms from the
The module would have the following content types:
1. Topic. When viewed, a table of positions and the differences
would be attached.
2. Position. Must have at least one term from the topic level.
position creates a new position and changes the status of the old
position to "abandoned" until another user becomes its advocate. A
position will also be abandoned if its advocate subscribes to
position with the same term.
3. Difference. Must have exactly two terms from the positions level.
viewed, a table of evidences would be attached. A difference
a status of "open" and is set to "resolved" when the advocates of
opposing positions accept and reject the same set of evidence. If
differences between two positions are resolved, the advocate of the
rejected position will be automatically subscribed to the accepted
4. Evidence. Must have at least one term from the difference level.
difference, the author must choose which of the positions it
author may not choose two opposing positions for the same
viewed, a table of investigations would be attached. Advocates of
position can mark whether they accept or reject the evidence. If the
advocate of the supported position rejects the evidence and the
an opposing position accepts it, the evidence will not be a valid
the difference between the two positions.
5. Investigation results. Must have at least one term from the evidence
level. Investigation status can be either "in progress" or
Each content type could have terms only from a specific level of the
taxonomy tree. The content type would create a term for the next
would be nice to enable RSS aggregation so that topics could pull in
positions from other sites, positions could pull in differences from
sites, differences could pull in evidence from other sites, and
could pull in investigations from other sites.
Is anything like this being worked on now?
More information about the development