[development] HTML5, XHTML2, and the Future of the Web

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Thu Apr 19 09:21:44 UTC 2007

Konstantin Käfer wrote:

> On 19.04.2007, at 05:01, Larry Garfield wrote:
>
>> "HTML5 has support from all the major browser vendors except Microsoft. "
>
> That has changed meanwhile:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/0202.html

Erm, you seem to confuse what's called HTML 5 with what is being worked
on at the W3C. HTML 5 is the WHAT WG workgroup's result (and it is in
development for quite a while now, so I won't call it rushed like Anton
did).

   Recommendation     | Group
   HTML 4, XHTML 1.x  | W3C
   HTML 5, XHTML 5(!) | WHAT WG

Now the W3C is working on improving HTML 4 too, and Microsoft joined
*that* Group. What will be the name of that version is not yet known
(they are not working on the specs yet).

Gabor