[development] theme('table')

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Sat Apr 21 07:10:56 UTC 2007

Karoly Negyesi wrote:
> Hi,

> tags ongoing. We have a theme('table').
>
> Trivial example: zebra. Instead of striping everything separately we can
> do it centrally.

theme('table') is a really interesting conundrum. On pages that utilize tables,
they are great for the programmer, and actually really hard on a designer. As
we're moving toward templatizing the theme functions of Drupal, there turns out
to be nothing to put into a .tpl.php for something that is, ultimately, just a
table.

On the other hand, not using theme('table') has the problem of leading to
inconsistency. Right now you can do quite a bit by theming all of your
tables...but no one ever (to my knowledge) actually overrides theme('table'),
and most of that theming is done via CSS.

I think what this really means is that theme('table') needs to be expanded in
such a way that we can do named tables that will allow us to invoke individual
templates in the manner of node.tpl.php. Something like
table-forum_overview.tpl.php maybe.

I've done a lot of back-and-forth with myself on this one, because there are
arguments on either side of the fence that are really compelling. I'm curious
to hear other people's thoughts on this one.