[development] links

Ashraf Amayreh mistknight at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 11:44:24 UTC 2007

Hello all,

Don't know if this is the best place for this, so if it's already discussed
elsewhere, I'll be thankful if you could point me to the URL cause I
couldn't find anything myself. I'm really having a tough time when creating
URLs to other parts of a Drupal site. Especially when I'm using clean URLs
and even more when I have Drupal as a subfolder like
http://example.com/mydrupalsite (in which case the internal node page could
be something like http://example.com/drupal/node/5)

As far as I've noticed, there are three cases of referencing, this is how I
do it, but I'm positive that there's something wrong or else I wouldn't get
broken links and/or images when I toggle clean-urls on and off and when I
have my site as a domain opposed to a subfolder:

1. Referencing another page, in this case I use l() or url() with relative
paths to get the link
2. Referencing a file in the themes folder in which case I use src="<?php
print path_to_theme().'/images/whatever.gif';?>
3. Referencing a file in the files folder in which case I use href="<?php
print file_directory_path().'/whatever.zip';?>

The main headache cause is the second one. If I have clean URLs on and the
site as a domain (http://example.com/) then the paths are wrong on node
pages. Although this may be a bug or something, I need to know the standard
way of referencing any and all paths before I jump to conclusions. Would be
grateful if someone could shed the light on this :-)