[development] Why do we avoid auto-incrementing db columns?

Ezra B. Gildesgame ezra at pingv.com
Wed Apr 25 14:29:54 UTC 2007

Barry,

I happened to discuss this with Greg Knaddison yesterday.
MySQL 4 does not support auto-incrementing columns. I believe
Drupal.org uses MySQL 4, and one reason it has not been upgraded
could be to avoid complications caused by changes in the way
information, particularly international characters, are stored
between 4 and and later versions.

Ezra Gildesgame

Developer
pingVision