[development] Drupal performance patches: call for action

andrew morton drewish at katherinehouse.com
Wed Aug 1 22:50:34 UTC 2007

On 8/1/07, Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1) Use A in Drupal 5.3 and Drupal 6, and switch to B as part of the
> > overhaul
> > in Drupal 7.
> >
> > 2) Clean up whatever the remaining objections are to B and use that
> > now so
> > there's less API change later.
> >
> > 3) Use A now and drop B completely, keeping A come Drupal 7.  (Not
> > good for
> > D7's API, IMO.)
> >
> > I want to make sure we're on the same page as to the approach so
> > that there's
> > no wasted effort.  Which are we doing? :-)
>
> I'm leaning towards A so let's go with that for now.  It wouldn't
> hurt to discuss this some more though.

I'd prefer to use db_query_slave(). It makes it simple to direct safe
queries to the slave with a minimum of changes. I'd rather wait and
make all the D7 database changes at once rather than trying to
anticipate what we'll want to do. It's good to have an eye on where
you'd like to be so you don't paint yourself into a corner but there's
a lot than can happen between now and then.

andrew